Forty Ways to Improve Your Child's Behavior and Attention Span
1. Eat foods that are nourishing to the body.
2. Limit television and video games.
3. Teach self-talk skills.
4. Limit the consumption of refined sugars, hydrogenated oils, and chemical additives.
5. Provide a balanced breakfast.
6. Eat an abundance of whole, fresh, natural foods as a family.
7. Focus on the successes versus challenges
8. Find out what interests your child.
9. Use a Visagraph screening to identify functional literacy/reading problems.
10. Enroll your child in a sport or exercise program.
11. Enroll your child in a program that uses Interactive Metronome to improve brain function.
12. Have your child screened to identify eye and brain function.
13. Use background music to focus and calm.
14. Establish consistent rules, routines, and transitions.
15. Use color to highlight information.
16. Teach your child to visualize.
17. Seek guidance on possible neurotoxicity, food allergens and nutritional deficiencies.
18. Maintain eye contact when communicating and giving instructions.
19. Find your child's best time of alertness.
20. Give instructions in attention-grabbing ways.
21. Provide a variety of stimulating learning activities.
22. Provide hands-on activities.
23. Spend positive times together.
24. Take care of yourself.
25. Teach your child focusing techniques.
26. Provide immediate feedback.
27. Consider family therapy.
28. Teach problem-solving skills.
29. Offer your child real-life tasks to do.
30. Use "time-out" in a positive way.
31. Help your child develop social skills.
32. Contract with your child.
33. Use effective communication skills.
34. Limit the consumption of foods that act as opiates to the brain.
35. Give your child choices.
36. Hold family meetings/counsels.
37. Have your child teach a younger child.
38. Use natural and logical consequences.
39. Find a chiropractic neurologist or medical physician that specializes in treating children with learning challenges using natural methods.
40. Hold a positive image of your child.
Written: April 1, 2007
By: Amy and Dr. F. Blake Ambridge, D.C., DACNB, Directors of the Santa Rosa Chiropractic Neurology Center Learning Enhancement CenterDr. Ambridge is a Doctor of Chiropractic who holds a post-doctorate degree in Neurology. He specializes in treating children and adults who suffer from ADD, ADHD, Learning Disorders and other brain function challenges.
If you or a family member is struggling with ADD, ADHD or learning disorders you know the emotional pain involved. We can help stop the suffering. Sonoma County Learning Enhancement Center is now enrolling for our next Learning Enhancement session.
Ask our staff about scheduling a free consultation. Our patients report "getting their child back," through our comprehensive learning enhancement program. Students are excelling in mathematics and reading when their brains are getting the support and stimulus they need. Stop the pink slips and give yourself a child who is happy and healthy. Ask our staff how you can get some much needed relief for you and your child. You deserve it!
Santa Rosa Chiropractic Neurology Center offers our patient form(s) online so they can be completed in the convenience of your own home or office.
Download Online Forms Here
Make an Appointment
We will do our best to accommodate your busy schedule. Request an appointment today!Request Now
We strive to provide complete care for our patients. Learn more about all the services we provide.Read More